We independently research, test, review, and recommend the best products. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission(at no cost to We independently research, test, review, and recommend the best products. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission(at no cost to you).
How to find the best shampoo for your hair type
With endless options lining hair product aisles, where to start? First, zero in on your hair type or issue, then identify key terms related to it on product packaging. Here, what language to look for based on common hair concerns and conditions, according to the Beauty Lab:
- For dry hair, shop “moisturizing,” “hydrating,” “nourishing,” “replenishing” or “softening.” These shampoo and conditioner formulations are made with higher quantities of conditioning ingredients to coat strands, making them silkier and more supple.
- For thin/flat hair, look for“volumizing,” “thickening,” “bodifying,” “fullness” or, to remove excess oil or buildup, “clarifying.” These are formulated with the lowest level of conditioning ingredients, which can weigh down fine strands.
- For color-treated hair, shop “color protection,” “fade protection,” “color care” or “color safe.” These procuts have gentler or lower ratios of cleansers and more conditioners to prevent color loss.
- For damaged hair, look for “strengthening,” “repair,” “damage repair,” “reconstructing,” “fortifying” or “anti-breakage.” These picks provide the highest dose of conditioning to replenish moisture and protect strands that are over-processed due to chemical treatments (like coloring), heat (from hair dryers and heat tools), or mechanical damage (e.g., brushing).
- For frizzy hair, shop “smoothing,” “polishing,”“frizz control,” “frizz protection” or “anti-frizz.” Your strands need good conditioning in both shampoo and conditioner formulas to infuse hydration and to smooth hair’s surface, preventing pouf.
Tea Tree Special Shampoo gently washes away impurities. Great for all hair types, this invigorating cleanser leaves strands refreshingly clean and full of shine. Natural Tea Tree oil and peppermint soothe the scalp, while light notes of lavender leave hair smelling fresh. Natural Tea Tree oil, peppermint and lavender invigorate the scalp and leave hair smelling great. Apply a small amount to damp hair. Lather and rinse completely.
- Infused with natural ingredients that maintain the moisture balance of hair and scalp and keeps hair looking and feeling supple and healthy.
- Detoxifies hair follicles, removes impurities, deep conditions and adds noticeable shine
- Shields hair and scalp from damaging environmental aggressors.